Queen Sirikit Centre
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Providing international standard of medical care in patients with breast cancer.
In Thailand, the incidence of breast cancer is rising every year and patients undergoing surgery for breast cancer, chemotherapy and radiation therapy are also increasing. As a result, Dr. Kris Chatamra, the cancer specialist surgeon, initiated the Breast Cancer Center Project, inspired by Her Majesty Queen Sirikit the Queen Mother:
“I want this centre to be a sanctuary for women “
Her Majesty Queen Sirikit the Queen Mother also granted her private donation of 2 million baht as the founding capital and took the role as the patron of the project and bestowed the name “Queen Sirikit Centre for Breast Cancer” on June 11, 2005.
The Queen Sirikit Centre for Breast Cancer is managed under Her Majesty Queen Sirikit the Queen Mother’s vision: “I want this centre to be a sanctuary for women”.
All patients at the Queen Sirikit Centre are cared for by a specialist nurses for explanatory, advice and encouragement from the first step of cancer management and throughout the complicated, and often debilitating procedure.
The Queen Sirikit Centre for Breast Cancer is committed to continuously providing the breast cancer patients in Thailand with the best and often higher than the international standards, so that all patients can have access to up-to-date medical equipment and state-of-the-art technology for breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Structure/Sub-units of the Center, Department.
- One stop service Breast Cancer Clinic , Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 2nd Floor
- Breast pathology unit, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 2nd Floor
- Breast diagnosis unit, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 2nd Floor
- Operating theatre for breast disease, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 3rd Floor
- Surgical Oncology day care unit, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 8th Floor
- Surgical short stay unit, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 8th Floor
- Body Image promoting room and peer support group volunteers, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, basement Floor
Queen Sirikit Center for Breast Cancer is a “one-stop service” providing quick and efficient medical care, in accordance with the policy of the excellence center of Chulalongkorn Hospital.
Out-patient Breast Cancer Clinic.
- Providing outpatient services for all types of breast diseases.
- The specialist nurses in breast disease are ready to take care and give advice to specific patients 24 hours a day.
- Diagnosis of specific pathology of breast diseases.
- Genetic profile for diagnosis and treatment selection (Multigene Test, Prosigna® NanoString PAM50) can reduce unnecessary use of chemotherapy in early breast cancer patients.
Diagnosis Breast Imaging Unit.
Providing the breast diagnosis services with modern equipment:
- 3D mammography (Digital Mammography and Breast Tomosynthesis) a standardized breast cancer screening method by providing early diagnosis; calcification can be identified and treated appropriately.
- Breast Ultrasound.
Queen Sirikit Centre for Breast Cancer is the first in Thailand and in Asia that provided breast ultrasound examination as an automatic adjunct to mammography. The confirmation of mammography and ultrasound examination further enhance the accuracy of early diagnosis (especially in dense Asian breast).
- Dedicated Breast CT.
This is the latest innovation of convenient, fast, easy mammography x-ray without compression of the breast and of low radiation. However, a breast ultrasound is necessary. In addition, it can accurately identify an abnormality in the breast. It is in high resolution and movable in all directions and enlargeable at a specific spot. It also supports the surgeon to plan complicated surgery.
- Dedicated Breast MRI.
It is the first specialized breast electromagnetic wave detector and the first in Asia. It can accurately diagnose the disease more specifically. This technology supplement mammography and ultrasound examination.
- Image-guided Biopsy and Localization.
Providing a surgical service for specific breast diseases. The twin theatre unit is now in operation. The new unit provide intraoperative irradiation for suitable patients, as well as offering up to date procedures.
Surgical Oncology Day Care Unit.
- Chemotherapy Daycare centre.
- Scalp cooling for hair preservation.
Queen Sirikit Centre for Breast Cancer is the first in Thailand to provide scalp cooling to reduce hair loss, enabling many women not to need to use wigs. In addition, during chemotherapy, a real time monitoring system is used to ensure safety to those patients.
Surgical Short Stay Unit.
Inpatient medical service for surgery and short term care for 3 – 5 days with an emphasis on breast disease.
Body Image Promoting Room and Peer Support Group Volunteers.
Free of charge Service for bra, breast implants, wigs, and headscarf for the patients with a mastectomy or hair loss after chemotherapy. The service must be preceded by the patients themselves (donated hair is not allowed).
The service is available on Wednesday and Thursday from 10.30 – 14.00 hrs.
Activities to promote quality of life for breast cancer patients.
It is a moderate exercise instructed by teachers with expertise in dance therapy and choreographies. This is suitable for groups of patients after breast surgery, post-radiotherapy and patients who have finished the treatment program. The activities help restore the movement of the shoulder joint, and stimulate the circulation of the blood system. It is available every Wednesday and Friday from 11.00 – 12.30 hrs., at the Queen Sirikit Centre Conference Room, 9th floor, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building.
Qualifications of the participants
- The service is only available to patients with breast cancer under King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, who have received written permission from the physician indicating that moderate physical activity is acceptable.
- For the patients who are not treated at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, a letter of approval from the physician is required, indicating that moderate physical activity is acceptable.
To participate in the Dance therapy, please contact Miss Benjarat Thampreechaphong or Miiss Krisana Ronkad
on 02 256 4991-2.
Service Times and Location
One Stop Service Breast Cancer Clinic for breast cancer screening.
Monday – Friday, 07.30 – 11.30 hrs.
Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 2nd Floor
Service procedures are as follows;
- In case of having an old card, please contact to register at the screening Unit, floor G, Bhor Por Ror Building, or contact the One Stop Service Breast Cancer Clinic on 02 256 4693 (if a pre-appointment has been made, an appointment can be made at the clinic).
- In the case of having a new card, please request one at floor G, Bhor Por Ror Building. Please inform the nurse
“I have come for a mammogram at the comprehensive breast cancer clinic. Queen Sirikit Centre, 2nd Floor, Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building”. (Clinic Code 270201).
Queen Sirikit Centre
Luan – Perm Pool Vongvanich Building, 2nd Floor
02 256 4671, 02 256 4693