Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Recognized innovation of diagnostic science
and medical care in stroke patients
The Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, the Thai Red Cross Society was established in 2006. The center aim to develop medical services in ischemic stroke patients as well as disease prevention and long-term medical care by the multidisciplinary team.
The Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence initiated the intravenous thrombolytic therapy in patients with acute ischemic stroke for the first time in Thailand in 1996. The emergency stroke care system (Stroke fast track) in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital has developed since 1998. Our center is the comprehensive stroke center which provides the comprehensive stroke care in acute phase including advanced neuroimaging, medical treatment, and endovascular intervention and post stroke care including rehabilitation, the stroke follow up clinic, and home visit.
Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence is also the referrals center offering both thrombolytic and mechanical thrombectomy and providing telestroke consultation to support other hospitals in Thailand and neighboring countries such as the Mittaphap Hospital, Vientiane, Laos.
Stroke unit and stroke ICU provide medical care to ischemic stroke patients. Both units are managed by multidisciplinary experts with well-equipped devices including stroke robots that can provide an effective communication system among vascular neurologists and physicians or medical personals who are working in the ward at any time.
The long term post stroke follow-up is also provided for effective physical and mental rehabilitation in patients. The stroke clinic is where patients can get post-treatment follow-up from a multidisciplinary team. The self-help group is led by stroke nurses and created for exchanging stroke care experience among patients and caregiver. “Home Health Care” is a home visit program for stroke patient to provide secondary stroke prevention and medical advice by the nursing staffs. Our center incorporate technology for long term post stroke care including the “CU stroke” application is initiated for recording health parameters for follow-up visit and “stroke home robot” to support the patients’ self-assessment at home.
“World Stroke Day” is held annually in October by the Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence to raise public awareness regarding stroke and stroke prevention. The event is joined by the Chula Neuroscience Center to provide stroke screening tests for the participants.
Achievements / Key Milestones
- World Stroke Organization Angels Award 2019 (Platinum status) from the World Stroke Organization.
- Thailand Angels Award (Diamond status) 2018
- The Best Practice of Non-communicable diseases 2007 from the Ministry of Public Health from the project “The potential development of a network of hospitals for the treatment of patients who have suffered an acute ischemic stroke via the Telestroke system” at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital.
- Thailand Public Service Awards 2016 “Excellence Award on Quality Improvement Service” from the Public Sector Development Commission on Telestroke system for acute stroke treatment.
- The Outstanding People’s Service Quality Award 2010, from the Public Sector Development Commission for the complete workflow of stroke medical care procedures.
- The BUPA Clinical Excellence Award 2005 from Bupa Insurance for stroke patient care
The Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence is well recognized and welcomes medical personnel from within the country and internationally for academic sharing of information. The Center itself is certified as the Certified Primary Stroke Center (CPSC) from Healthcare Accreditation Institute (Public Organization) and Thai Stroke Society and is certified the Standard Stroke Center Certification from the Department of Medical Services, Ministry of Public Health.
There is so much pride for Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence in its use of advanced technology for medical care in association with other departments such as an acute stroke robot for medical consultation in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. The expert personnel both in-office hours or out of office hours are regularly available for medical advice. King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital is the first government hospital where strokerobots are used for medical treatment.
Currently, the stroke robot is at the ICU stroke and the stroke unit. The CU Stroke application was successfully developed for self-assessment and risk assessment for stroke disease via a smartphone or a tablet device. The medical service has also expanded to neighboring countries: Mittaphab hospital, Vientiane, Lao PDR where the first patient with acute ischemic stroke received intravenous thrombolysis in 2016, resulting in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital gaining the reputation as the leading Stroke Center of Excellence nationally and internationally.
We aim to be the leading stroke prevention and treatment center at an international level.
- To provide medical services to ischemic stroke patients, both acute and chronic care.
- To provide tertiary advanced medical services for strokes.
- To be the training center producing quality medical personnel for stroke expertise at a national and international levels.
- To be the academic and stroke research and development center at national and international levels.
The Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence provides a multidisciplinary service to stroke patients including disease prevention, medical care, long-term treatment, home health care, out-patient stroke clinics by multidisciplinary teams such as neurologist, internist, neurosurgeon, psychiatrists, specialist nurses, nutritionists, social workers and Red Cross volunteers. The services are aimed to provide patients with comprehensive physical and mental rehabilitation.
The Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence is also a training center for neurology residents and vascular neurology fellows which provides both academic activities suitable for developing essential skills in stroke care and research environment for clinical and advanced stroke research which are published in medical journals both nationally and internationally.
Service Times and Location
- 24 hours medical service for acute ischemic stroke.
- An outpatient stroke clinic every Thursday 08.00 – 12.00 hrs.
Chulalongkorn Stroke Center of Excellence,
Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, 7th Floor, Zone C
02 256 4000 Ext. 80724-5