Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Genomics and Precision Medicine for public well-being
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine was developed from the Excellence Center of Medicine Genetics due to the rapid advances and continuing growth of knowledge in Genetics and Genomics over the past decades. The next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology which includes whole exome sequencing and whole genome sequencing has been developed and increasingly used in medical services. NGS is playing an important role in many medical fields leading to more accurate disease diagnosis, better therapeutic and preventive strategies as well as health promotion. King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital is among the first place in Thailand that uses this technique.
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine has expanded the use of pharmacogenomics in the field of precision medicine. It is the study of how genome or genetic variation influences on the use of medicines including determining drug toxicity and doses. It can be used to develop clinical guidelines in each population leading to safe, optimal and effective drug use.
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine was officially established on September 2, 2019. The Excellence Center has expanded and aimed to provide comprehensive clinical genomic services for patients with genetic diseases, creates new knowledge and generates innovations in genomics and precision medicine, and provides training in these fields. These will help the patients have equal access to high quality care including diagnosis, effective therapy with fewer side effects as well as prevention to achieve good health and well-being.
Prof. Dr. Vorasuk Chotilersak
- The Outstanding National Researcher of Medical Science in 2012.
- The Senior Research Savant from the Research Fund (TRF), 2 times (2010 and 2013)
- The Outstanding Research Award in 2010 from the National Research Council.
- The Outstanding Research Award in 2012 from the National Research Council.
- The Researcher Award for the most cited research results (2006) from Chulalongkorn University.
- The Supra Cluster Health Award for outstanding research from the Office of the Higher Education Commission in collaboration with 9 National Research Universities in 2003.
Prof. Dr. Kanya Supapeetiporn
- TRF-CHE-Scopus Young Researcher Award for distinguished research, TRF-CHE-Scopus, 2009
- Award for Distinguished Research Article from National Research Council of Thailand, 2010
- Award for Distinguished Research Article from National Research Council of Thailand, 2012
The leader in the field of genomics and precision medicine in the Southeast Asian region. We create innovations and strive for excellence and we are the prototype of precision medicine being applied for people’s well-being.
- To develop accurate and standard medical services, covering genomics and precision medicine.
- To provide specific and precise medical care to an individual with susceptibility to genetic diseases, including genetic counselling, health promotion and prevention using advanced medical technologies.
- To help establish and manage the genomics core facility to support research and development (R&D) activities leading to application in disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
- To provide training and academic development at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and to be the national and international training center.
- To become a leader in translational research in genomics and precision medicine and to produce world-class R&D work for further medical application and academic service to communities and society.
- To develop the national and international networking of medical genetics and genomics innovations and technologies for improving diagnosis, treatment, prevention and health promotion.
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine consists of 4 subunits as follow:
- Management Unit
- Clinical service Unit
- Research and Development Unit
- Academic Unit
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine’s strategy and objectives are to achieve excellence in providing medical care using genomics innovations and technologies as well as to be a leading training center according to King Chulalongkorn’s visions and missions. To manage an effective operation, the Excellence Center has expanded the multidisciplinary out – patient clinic to support patients in need of medical diagnosis and treatment. It also provides the coding service of next – generation sequencing for genetic diagnosis, in total, 30 codes in the first year of service.
Service Times and Location
The comprehensive multidisciplinary out – patient clinic operated by the Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine is open on the following days and times.
1. Monday – Friday, 09.00 – 12.00 hrs.
Bhor Por Ror Building, 11th Floor
Hereditary cancer syndrome
Dermatology – related diseases/Neurogenetics
Inherited metabolic diseases/Pediatric genetics
2. Thursday, 13.00 – 16.00 hrs.
Bhor Por Ror Building, 9th Floor
3. Day care treatment with enzyme replacement therapy
Friday, 08.30 – 15.00 hrs.
H.M. Queen Sirikit Building, 15th Floor.
The Excellence Center for Genomics and Precision Medicine,
H.M. Queen Sirikit Building, 9th Floor,
Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, 8th Floor, Zone C
02 256 4000 Ext. 80840