Excellence Center for Burns
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
We are committed to provide an international standard
of medical care in patients injured
from severe burns and scalds.
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital established the first Burns Unit in Thailand in 1972 by Assistant Professor Dr. Jaru Sookaboth and Khunying Boonchob Bampennarakij, the former Head of the nursing department. The burns unit was located at the South of 3rd floor, Mongkut – Petcharat Building. At its beginning, there were 8 beds in total (6 beds for adults and 2 beds for children (1 of the 2 was for circumcision), serviced by specialized plastic surgeons by using integrated medical treatment and advanced technology equipment.
In October 1989, the 3rd floor of the Mongkut – Petcharat building was under renovation and the burns unit was relocated to the 4th floor of Vajirayana Samakkhi Phayaban building, with only 4 beds in service. In 1992, there was a disastrous gas truck accident at Petchburi road in the middle of the night. King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital played an important role in giving medical treatment to many people injured from burns at this severe incident.
In 2011, the burns unit was approved to be established as the Excellence Center for Burns, King Chulalongkorn Memorial. Apart from medical services to patients with burns, the Excellence Center for Burns is also the training center for plastic surgery for the specialist surgeons to treat patients with burns. For the past 40 years, more than 100 doctors have been providing medical services to patients with burns throughout Thailand.
In 2018, the burns unit was relocated to 24th floor (Zone C), Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, and the number of patient beds was expanded to 12.
- The Excellence Center for Burns in cooperation with the plastic surgery unit and the Burns and Wound Healing Association of Thailand arranged the cadaveric workshop, the topic was treatment in patients with burns, for the first time in Thailand in the fiscal year 2019.
- The Excellence Center for Burns in cooperation with the plastic surgery unit and Chonburi Hospital developed the mobile application to evaluate the level of burn severity in pediatric patients (PED 3D Burn) for the first time in the world and it is being tested in 2020.
We are committed to be the leading Excellence Center for Burns in medical care and burns treatment training both at a national and regional level.
- To develop excellent medical technology of burns treatment at national and global levels.
- To develop tissue engineering to be applicable at clinical service and commercial operations.
- To develop a skin bank for an organ donation center, the Thai Red Cross Society as the prototype for the National Skin Bank.
Excellence Center for Burns provides international standard and hygienic medical care to burns injuries. The skin bank and artificial skin service including various technologies are used for better treatment and more rapid recovery managed by multidisciplinary specialists: anesthesiology, anesthesia, physiotherapy, social work and nutrition therapy.
Service times and location
Monday – Friday, 10.00 – 12.00 hrs.
Bhor Por Ror Building, 6th Floor
Excellence Center for Burns,
Bhumisirimungalanusorn Building, 24th Floor, Zone C
02 256 4120