Excellence Center in Diabetes, Hormone and Metabolism
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Comprehensive medical treatment to patients with diabetes and with other hormonal diseases
The Excellence Center in Diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism was established in 2012 to provide comprehensive medical treatment to patients with diabetes and with other hormonal disorders by using advanced-technology medical science to diagnose and treat patients. The Excellence Center also plays an important role in research and development (R&D), physician training, public and hospital personnel awareness over health concerns.
Award and achievement of the Excellence Center in Diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism.
1. Transition clinic.
Transition clinic is the delivery of care for patients from the pediatric clinic to the adult clinic, in collaboration with the endocrine unit, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, in order to provide a continuous and appropriate treatment in pediatric patients for the future medical care in the adult clinic. This is deemed the first medical school that provides the service of Transition Clinic, and this is a role model of the transition service from pediatricians to other interns. Its official clinic opening was held at the World Diabetes Day 2019 event on 13th of November 2019. The Transition clinic opens every last Wednesday of the month at the 3rd floor, Bhor Por Ror Building.
2. Exercise Clinic
In collaboration with the Faculty of Sports Science ,Chulalongkorn University to educate and demonstrate appropriate exercise in each diabetic patient for more comprehensive care. The service was firstly opened on the 4th of April, 2019 at the 3rd floor, Bhor Por Ror Building, every Tuesday and Friday from 09.00 – 12.00 hrs.
3. Diabetes and Endocrine Teleclinic
It is established to monitor the patient’s symptoms continuously and to follow up patients who do not need to see a doctor. The patient groups to be admitted to this clinic are:
- Patients with stable thyroid disease
- Patients with stable adrenal gland disease
- Diabetic patients who need to adjust the insulin dose under close guidance
- Any other cases considered by the doctor to be appropriate to be able to visit this clinic.
Location: Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, 4th Floor, Zone C. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 13.00 – 15.00 hrs.
“C-Diabetes” Application is initiated via smartphone and Tablet devices for patients with diabetes, including patients with gestational diabetes for complete self-care. This “C-Diabetes” Application was firstly launched at World Diabetes Day 2019 on 13th of November, 2019, hosting by Her Royal Highness Somsawali Krommuen Suthanarinat and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Chao Fah Patcharakitiyapa Narendira Thepyawadi Krom Luang Rajasari Siripatch Mahawatchara Rachathida. For those interested, please feel free to download the application via both IOS and Android system.
5. Diabetes clinic of Multidisciplinary Team Approach
A multidisciplinary diabetes foot clinic in collaboration with the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Surgery and Orthopedic Department in order to provide a fast and complete service. Its service was firstly opened on the 24th of March, 2020 at the 1st floor, Nightingale Building. The clinic currently opens every Tuesday, 08.30 – 12.00 hrs., and every Thursday, 13.00 – 15.30 hrs.
6. Study the relationship between clinical features and genetic disorders in Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH)
The study was preceded by collecting patient data in Thailand in collaboration with more than 70 countries around the world. The patient data collecting was started in 2018, and its database was transferred to the FH Global Registry database to coordinate through the EAS-FH Study Collaboration (FHSC) – European Atherosclerosis Society. The first Thai FH Workshop was held to launch the “Thai FH Registry” project on 16th of June, 2019, honorably joined by the FH speakers and world class experts.
7. Academic conference
7.1 CUEC Chulalongkorn Endocrine Conference
- A training course on endocrine diseases for doctors and medical personnel both in Chulalongkorn Institutes and other institutions by focusing on practical endocrine diseases including endocrine diseases found in other fields in addition to internal medicine such as obstetrics, pediatric surgery, etc.
- Firstly held in 1997, the training course on endocrine diseases has been continuously held until now as the 2.5 day annual activity.
7.2 CU Pituitary Preceptorship Program
- A training and knowledge sharing about pituitary gland disease for doctors and medical personnel both in Chulalongkorn institutes and other institutions.
- Firstly held in 2017, the event has been continuously held annually as a half – day training for free of charge.
8. Disease Specific Certification
There is a development of the diabetes care system for both outpatients and inpatients, by establishing a systematic approach of medical care in patients to meet the standards, measurable and evaluable for further service development. It is currently in the process of obtaining a specific disease or system quality certification assessment.
9. Production of textbooks and endocrine practices
Production of textbooks and endocrine practices are created to be a source of knowledge for doctors, nurses, medical students including medical and public health personnel in various fields in applying to the benefit of the patients as much as possible.
10. Diabetes Camp
This is the first camp outing being held in Thailand, with seminars and activities to provide knowledge about diabetes by doctors, nurses and nutritionists throughout 2 days and 1 night as an annual event, in order to transfer knowledge from doctors to the public for the correct knowledge and understanding.
11. World Diabetes Day
The event was firstly initiated in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization on every 14th of November. It is a campaign to raise diabetes awareness worldwide and in response to the growing number of people with diabetes worldwide. The center has launched the first World Diabetes Day event in 2017 and it has been continuously held every year.
We are committed to be the leading Excellence Center that provides medical treatment and R&D on diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism.
- To be the leading and international standard Excellence Center that provides medical treatment to patients with diabetes, thyroid issues, high cholesterol and other diseases relating to hormones and metabolism.
- To develop the prototype R&D projects for accurate disease diagnosis and to enhance effectiveness in medical treatment.
- To be the training hub and reference center, at both national and international level, of medical research on diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism.
The structure of the Excellence Center in Diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism is as follow:
1. Professor Suttipong Wacharasindhu, M.D
2. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sompong Suwanwalaikorn
3. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Lalita Wattanajanya
Chairman of the Board
4. Prof. Dr. Weerapan Khowitoonkij
5. Assoc. Prof. Dr.Sarach Suntornyothin
6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Thiti Sanabboon
7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Pathinat Buranasabkajorn
8. Asst. Prof. (Special) Dr. Patchaya Boonchayaanan
9. Dr. Panadda Srijomkwan, MD
10. Dr. Nichakarn Laichoothai
Board Committee and Secretary
There are 4 main services at the Excellence Center in diabetes, hormones and metabolism:
1. Special dynamic test
2. Thyroid diagnosis
- MD603 Thyroid Ultrasound
- MD604 FNA+Thyroid ultrasound
- MD605 FNA thyroid
3. Neuroendocrine tumors
- ML402 Plasma Chromogranin A
4. Special genetic test
- ML411 Sequencing of triplet repeats-Kennedy’s disease (CAG triplets of AR gene)
- ML412 Whole gene sequencing-Von Hippel Lindu disease (VHL gene)
- ML413 Limited gene sequencing for BRAF mutation (V600E)
- ML414 Gene sequencing-MENIN (MEN1)
- ML415 Gene sequencing-ApoE polymorphism
- ML416 Limited gene sequencing-RET related Conditions/Test
- ML417 Limited gene sequencing-Hereditary Pancreatitis SPINK1/Test
- ML418 PCR for SRY gene
Service days and times
Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, 4th Floor, Zone C
Monday – Friday
08.00 – 16.00 hrs.
Bhor Por Ror Building, 3rd Floor
Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
08.00 – 12.00 hrs.
The Excellence Center in Diabetes, Hormones and Metabolism,
Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, 4th Floor, Zone C
02 256 4101