Department of Emergency Medicine
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Producing highly skilled emergency medicine specialists with morality, research creation and academic achievements
The Department of Emergency Medicine, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, the Thai Red Cross Society was appointed as the official department in September 2015 to take charge of emergency outpatient care, including emergency care before admitting and transporting patients between hospitals. The emergency room, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital is open 24 hours a day (7 days a week with out holidays) to take charge of emergent and urgent care patients.
The emergency room is currently located on 1st floor, Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building and has been since February 2018. The emergency room has been designed to be modern and is equipped with patient monitoring system for immediate care. The Department of Emergency Medicine provides services to approximately 45,000 patients a year with a multidisciplinary team of specialists in emergency medicine, internal medicine, surgery and pediatrics 24 hours a day.
In addition to serving patients, there is also emergency room teaching for resident physicians, 5th and 6th year medical students, including pharmacists and nursing students. In addition, the Department of Emergency Medicine also represents the hospital at seminars and training for the use of ultrasound to intensive care patients at the annual event of the World Interactive Network Focused On Critical Ultrasound (WINFOCUS).
Awards and Achievements
- A certificate from the Institute of Nursing Quality Certification (Public Organization) on Hospital and Health Service Standards, the 60th Anniversary of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne. Quality of patient care health promotion and corporate administration.
- Being awarded the first runner-up in the 5th emergency medicine tournament from the Department of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital Mahidol University.
- Being awarded our greatest application from the Emergency Department Hospital University Sains Malaysia.
- Achieving the 5th Thailand Emergency Medicine Award 2018. Station: Advanced Cardiac Life Support from the Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University.
- Achieving the 3rd Thailand Emergency Medicine Award 2014. Station: PREHOSPITAL CARE.
- The Department’s training institute is certified for quality standards, Postgraduate medical education WFME Global Standards for Quality Improvement.
- Hosting an annual academic conference. “Emergency Medicine Chula Conference” every year.
- Conducting a workshop project on Friday nights at the ER and TEAMSTEPPS workshop simulation tool for team learning for personnel at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, the Thai Red Cross Society.
The Department of Emergency Medicine aims to produce highly skilled emergency medicine specialists with morality, research creation and academic achievements as valuable sources of reference both nationally and internationally while being excellent in patient care and continuous self-improvement.
1. To produce emergency physicians according to standards, to be knowledgeable experts in the practice of medicine in the emergency medicine field of the Medical Council, taking into account the health needs of the community and society as follows:
- To produce emergency physicians who are knowledgeable, skillful and academic as an emergency physician who can apply knowledge in occupational and social development.
- To produce emergency physicians who have the ability to pass on knowledge which can be applied in medical schools, medical centers and medical training institutes.
- To produce emergency physicians to provide emergency medical services to patients at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, including taking care of the patients in their area of responsibility.
2. To provide efficient emergency services.
3. To produce valuable research and knowledge to be recognized nationally and internationally.
ER & Resuscitation
The emergency room provides patient care from critical illness to emergency cases. The emergency room is divided into separate zones such as a resuscitation zone to provide patients with rapid treatment and the most effective service equivalent to international standards. In addition, an X-ray room and CT scan room are also provided.
ER – Observation unit
The observation room has been renovated to accommodate patients who need symptom observation for 48 hours at 2nd floor, Chulabhorn Building.(Located above the emergency room) with a capacity of a total of 10 beds with emergency medicine physicians, doctors and emergency nurses for 24 hours a day to give patients rest in the right place. While symptom observation can be done in the emergency room, according to the requirements of the American College of Emergency Physicians 2014.
EMS Unit Center
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital is located in the central business area, Silom Road, Sathorn, Sam Yan, Rama IV which is at the heart of the commuting and business district where there are frequent injuries or emergency incidents. The Hospital has served people in the neighborhood from 2013 until now. The Department of Emergency Medicine is well equipped with a 24 hours emergency team and a health services team.
The resuscitation center has jointly installed 1,200 defibrillators nationwide and the machines were distributed to public use. Moreover, resuscitation center has designed the AED application for defibrillators, consisting of the instruction of how to use AED, AED search, the people search for AED at the incident point, and rescuer search . Such application is available to download on a smart phone via QR Code.
Education & Training
Due to the increase in patients and training every year, advanced technology is developed for medical efficiency. The Department of Emergency Medicine provides education fairs in accordance with international standards in terms of both academic and service excellence.
EM residency program
The program for resident physicians in the field of emergency medicine started in 2004. The training period is 3 years, during which time the training is performed in emergency care both internally and externally as well as practicing various life saving procedures and study visits to sub-areas of interest such as pre-hospital care, aviation, toxicology, hypobaric and others.
Resident physicians will have an opportunity to do research in their own interest in at least one subject, with close support from consultants from the hospital’s teaching and research teams. In addition to this, in the 3 year period, the resident physicians can further elect to study an emergency course overseas in their specific area of interest.
WINFOCUS (World Interactive Network Focused on Critical Ultrasound) program is the main Ultrasound program for intensive care patients. It is a universal program. In Thailand, Dr. Suthapon Lumlethkul had initiated and represented WINFOCUS in contributing to the program on behalf of King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital and of Southeast Asia.
Research project & Publication.
In order to develop medical care for intensive care patients in the emergency room, research and development is one of the main missions of the Emergency Medicine Unit.
The weekly meeting of resident physicians is arranged to promote learning, sharing and knowledge applications for advanced medical care in emergency patients.
The 5th year medical students [Med students] will have an opportunity to study in examining patients and work in the emergency room so that they are well-trained in medical care to emergency patients, patient approach, basic operative training in the life and sentiments of patients and relatives in the emergency room.
The 6th year medical students (Extern Students) will have an opportunity to work in the emergency room for 2 weeks during internal medicine training and during surgical and orthopedics sessions. Its main objectives in the final year of studying medicine is to equip the students in all forms of emergency treatment to patients, the practical lessons in necessary life-saving procedures such as endotracheal tubes, ICD and ultrasound, etc. During the course, there must be at least one physician teacher present in the emergency.
Service Time and Location
The Department of Emergency Medicine, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital (ER Chula) is open 24 hours a day, for an emergency service to the emergent care and urgent care patients. Currently, the emergency room is located on Ratchadamri road, opposite Lumpini park. The emergency room was renovated in 2018.
The Department of Emergency Medicine,
Bhumisirimangalanusorn Building, Floor M
02 649 4000 Ext. 83058