Department of Otolaryngology
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Aiming to be a role model and become the leader in the services for Otolaryngology patients in our country and in the region.
Since King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital was established on May 30th 1914, there were Division of Ear Diseases and Division of Nose and Throat Diseases, headed by Luang Kosol Vejjasart (Giao Chonhenchop) as the first Chairman. In 1934, the Divisions of Otolaryngology and Ophthalmology were merged into the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Department, led by Colonel Laung Prajak vejjasit, although doctors and nurses from both divisions worked independently.
In 1970, the Department of Ophthalmology and the Department of Otolaryngology were separated, approved by the Office of the Education Council. Associate Professor Chuchoung Sawettarune was the first Chief of the Department of Otolaryngology.
The accomplishment and pride of the department of Otolaryngology is shown below.
The Department of Otolaryngology has initiated many major surgical operations in Thailand. As the first in the country to perform a surgery for acute otitis media by using a microscope in 1961, a cochlear implantation in 1986 and an endoscopic sinus surgery, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital of the Thai Red Cross Society announced the department to be the Center for Medical Excellence of King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital of the Thai Red Cross Society and the pioneer of robot-assisted surgery and laser surgery in order to treat otolaryngological lesion.
The Department of Otolaryngology has a high reputation for hosting national and international academic courses, conferences, and workshops. These renowned conferences are such as Chula FESS course, Head and Neck Workshop, Asia-Pacific Otology Neurotology Conference.
The Department of Otolaryngology was encouraged to have a PhD program along with residency training and fellowship program in rhinology, allergy and skull base. Beside being the only medical institution in Thailand who offers a 2-year program, we offer courses which link with Master’s programs and PhD programs of Chulalongkorn University. We also have international doctors attending our residency training and fellowship program. Moreover, the Department of Otolaryngology is a pioneer of researches in tissue engineering in the country, including researches in development of growing a human ear on the back of a rat and development of artificial skin to decrease scar contracture which can result disability. We have collaborated with the Reconstructive Surgery team from the Department of Surgery, the Interdisciplinary Research team from the Faculty of Engineering and other faculties in Chulalongkorn University. Last but not least, the cooperation from various departments of the Faculty of Medicine has helped us found the first Excellence Center for Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products in Thailand.
The Department of Otolaryngology has been conducting researches at international level continuously. We are equipped with not only residents and fellows who have received research presentation awards, but also professors who have been constantly producing research projects.
- A role model of academic organization which educates the graduates for the benefit of our society in the area of Medicine, Otolaryngology, Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and related.
- A world class organization using high level of information technology and efficient resources for development of the education system, research, and academic services.
- A leading organization in Southeast Asia in providing the medical services for patients suffering from ear, nose and throat disorders.
- To educate Medical graduates, Otolaryngologists and facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons under the Medical council with morals, competence, and devotion.
- To improve and develop effective training in Otolaryngology, Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, Head and Neck surgery, Auditory, Otoneurology, Rhinology/Allergy, Sleep Medicine and another Diploma Programs to the standard international level.
- To produce strong valuable research, publish quality textbooks, in Otolaryngology, Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, Head and Neck surgery, Auditory, Otoneurology, Rhinology/Allergy, Sleep Medicine and other knowledge areas.
- To provide the services in Otolaryngology, Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, Head and Neck surgery, Auditory, Otoneurology, Rhinology/Allergy, Sleep Medicine and in other knowledge areas and academic services to respond to society problems.
- To develop an effective administration system to be an efficient organization.
- To build up strong relationships among previous and current staffs and graduates to have pride and become a happy organization.
The Department of Otolaryngology has 6 Divisions.
- Head and Neck Division.
- Otology Neurotology Division
- Rhinology and Allergy Division.
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division.
- Sleep Division
- Laryngology Division.
The services from the 6 Divisions are shown below.
1. Head and Neck Division
This division provides complete services and treatments for tumors related to the Head and Neck area including benign neoplasm and malignant neoplasm. Our services cover a complete range of surgery such as open surgery, endoscopic surgery and robotic surgery.
2. Otology Neurotology Division
This division provides complete services and care for patients who have ear related conditions such as ear infection, benign tumor or cancer of ear and lateral skull base, balance disorder, dizziness and vertigo, hearing speech and communication problems in children and adults. Our up to date technology covers diagnosis, treatment, surgery and rehabilitation with experienced medical staffs.
3. Rhinology and Allergy Division.
This division provides complete services and care for patients with nasal and paranasal sinus disease such as the skin prick allergy test, nasal cytology, acoustic rhinometry, endoscopic ethmoidectomy, sinus surgery, tumor removal from Pituitary surgery etc.
4. Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division.
This division provides plastic surgery in the head and neck area for patients after cancer surgery, facial reanimation, cosmetic surgery which integrates with the oculoplastic surgeon, plastic surgeon and dematologist.
5. Laryngology Division.
This division provides both out-patient and in-patient laryngeal procedures. The laryngeal surgery can be done with endoscope to avoid visible scarring and open surgery for vocal fold paralysis. For cervical tracheal stenosis, we provide convention surgery and we also are developing artificial trachea using tissue-engineering technology to replace malfunctioning trachea for effective treatment.
6. Sleep Division.
This division provides a full range of innovative health care service for snoring and sleeps disorder patients, in collaboration with Excellence Center for Sleep Disorders, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. The services include outpatient clinics, confirmatory diagnosis by polysomnography and comprehensive patient evaluations. We also provide wide arrays of treatment selection, which include hi-tech medical devices and novel effective surgical techniques.
Operating days/hours and locations
Open on Monday – Friday from 08.00 – 16.00 hrs. at 10th floor, Bhor Por Ror Building.
Tel : 02 256 5223 – 27
Out of hours Clinics
Open on weekday from 16.30 – 20.00 hrs. and weekend from 08.00 – 12.00 hrs. at 10th floor, Bhor Por Ror Building.
Tel : 02 256 5193
The Department of Otolaryngology
Ratanavidhayabhat Building, 17th Floor, Zone A
02 256 4000 ext 61721 – 61725