Department of Biochemistry
King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital
Providing integrated knowledge regarding Biochemistry,
Molecular biology, Metabolism and Nutrition.
Biochemistry courses began in 1947, concurrently with the courses in the Doctor of Medicine curriculum, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University. Initially, the courses were under the responsibility of the Division of Physiology. In 1965, the Royal Decree was announced to separate the Division of Biochemistry from the Division of Physiology. The Division of Biochemistry has continuously developed into the Department of Biochemistry as seen today.
There have been 10 professors who have been head of the Biochemistry Department (in 11 terms), arranged chronologically as follows:
1. Prof. Prawut Kunakasem, M.D.
Year 1965 – 1980
2. Assoc. Prof. Permsuk Petchpaisit
Year 1980 – 1986
3. Assoc. Prof. Kanit Buranasiri, M.D.
Year 1986 – 1990
4. Assoc. Prof. Tada Sueblinvong, M.D.
Year 1990 – 1994
5. 5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Jerapan Krungkrai
Year 1994 – 1998
6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Wilai Anomasiri
Year 1998 – 2002
7. Prof. Piyaratana Tosukhowong
Year 2002 – 2006
8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Phisit Prapunwattana
Year 2006 – 2012
9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Thananya Thongtan
Year 2012 – 2015
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Phisit Prapunwattana
Year 2016 – 2019
11. Prof. Pisit Tangkijvanich, M.D.
Year 2019 – Present
The Department of Biochemistry is an academic institution which produces graduates with quality and morality, creates valuable research, provides academic services to guide societies, strives to be a national and international academic reference point, offers a good quality of life to societies, as well as creates inspiration within the department.
- To produce graduates of quality with knowledge and skills that meet with international standards, along with the desired characteristics for society.
- Organize biochemistry courses and other related knowledge in both theory and the practical for medical students, postgraduate students, nursing students and medical professionals, under the education quality assurance system.
- Create research and new knowledge with the aim to develop international standards.
- Provide academic services and transfer knowledge to the public in order to improve society and the country.
The Department of Biochemistry provides knowledge related to biochemistry and molecular biology, metabolism and nutrition.
Operating days/hours and locations
Monday – Friday (official working hours), except public holidays.
08.00 – 16.00 hrs.
The Department of Biochemistry,
Phaetthayaphat Building, 11th Floor
02 256 4482